2 receivers, can they be combined?

Want to post something that doesn't quite fit into the other forums? This is the place for that.
matthys70

2 receivers, can they be combined?

Post by matthys70 » Fri May 23, 2014 9:05 am

Not sure where to ask this question....

I use VR for some time now in combination with RTL1090.
But I now have another receiver up and running with DUMP1090.
Both are configured within VR and are working.

But is it correct it can only display one receiver, and not combine both?
From the Menu I can select either RTL1090 or DUMP1090 receiver, but not both.
Would be nice to have them both in the same window, combining the range.

Thanks,
Matthijs

jonfear

Re: 2 receivers, can they be combined?

Post by jonfear » Fri May 23, 2014 10:15 am

Hi Matthijs

Yes, assuming you are using 2.0.2 it is easy. Just add another receiver and point it towards the dump1090 system. You can then merge the feeds in tools/option/merged feeds. Dont forget to add location information to both receivers to be able to see the range plots for each.

HTH

Jon
http://www.360radar.co.uk, the new name for MLAT Radar in the UK and Western Europe.

Former PP feeder Bm. No longer feeding. I do not have time to sort out imaginary problems with NTP
when it has been working fine for 2+ Years.

matthys70

Post by matthys70 » Fri May 23, 2014 11:27 am

Okay .. I just do not understand this part:
jonfear wrote:Just add another receiver and point it towards the dump1090 system.
I have both receivers in VR and indeed I notice you can create a new receiver which merges both (or more) receivers.
So now I have a 3rd receiver called "Merged Feet" but strangely it shows less than both feeds.
I should at less see the max, right?

For example,
RTL1090 = 107 Aircraft Tracked
DUMP1090 = 43 Aircraft Tracked
Merged Feet = 78 Aircraft Tracked

jonfear

Post by jonfear » Fri May 23, 2014 11:43 am

OK,

VRS is more careful than RTL and dump1090 about what it displays as a flight. It maybe that the merged data has some corruption in it that is causing less aircraft to be displayed. You should be able to right click on each receiver and see the statistics. I have just checked my system at home and the merged feed has more aircraft than any of the other individual receivers, but not that many more.

Perhaps you want to check your settings for both the RTL and Dump systems to make sure you are using the correct input settings. On the dump1090 I suggest using the beast output as this contains a lot of good data missing from the basestation output.

There is now a dump1090 for windows which is getting good reviews, you may want to try that...

If you still have problems, come back and we will try to help.

Jon
http://www.360radar.co.uk, the new name for MLAT Radar in the UK and Western Europe.

Former PP feeder Bm. No longer feeding. I do not have time to sort out imaginary problems with NTP

matthys70

Post by matthys70 » Fri May 23, 2014 2:28 pm

Seems it needs time to adjust... I now have:

RTL1090 = 123 Aircraft Tracked
DUMP1090 = 46 Aircraft Tracked
Merged Feet = 128 Aircraft Tracked

Which looks much better ;-)

jonfear

Post by jonfear » Fri May 23, 2014 8:14 pm

Perfect, that makes more sense!

Obviously there are aircraft tracked by both systems so these are counted once only.

Well done.

By the way, the merged feed option is what is used on the vrs-europe web site. It works pretty damn well! Need to stretch the software more when we can get some more feeds.

Jon