Help a beginner / Does VR log aircraft heard?

Want to post something that doesn't quite fit into the other forums? This is the place for that.
TurboCommander

Help a beginner / Does VR log aircraft heard?

Post by TurboCommander » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:13 pm

Sorry if this is kind of dense of me. I host FR24, installed VR24, everything works great on both platforms so I know enough of the basics to get everything up and running. I have SBS files installed and am getting registration, logos and silhouettes so that is working well too.

My question is where can I find a log of all the aircraft that I have decoded Mode-S for? Does VR log aircraft heard? If so, where and if not, how do I do this?

Bigger question, how do I update the basestation.sqb file? It seems I was looking to do this but stopped due to complexity and frankly, I don't even remember why I was looking to do that at this moment. I'm too interested in looking at my Mode-S logs right now.

Thanks!

jonfear

Re: Help a beginner / Does VR log aircraft heard?

Post by jonfear » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:53 pm

Hi

The only "Aircraft Heard" reports that I know of are off the menu button on the webpage. This gives various options including today's and yesterday's flights.

Updating the basestation.sqb file: Depends on what you mean here.

1. You can use the database writer plugin which i simple to install if you follow the instructions and switch it on!
2. If you mean update the basestation.sqb with new aircraft id's etc then I use Active Display Pro. There has been a way of getting the AD Lite version working but I have not tried this as I do not want Basestation running.

Hope this helps

Jon
http://www.360radar.co.uk, the new name for MLAT Radar in the UK and Western Europe.

Former PP feeder Bm. No longer feeding. I do not have time to sort out imaginary problems with NTP
when it has been working fine for 2+ Years.

TurboCommander

Post by TurboCommander » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:11 pm

Ok great about the reports in the webpage menu but when i go to Reports and today or yesterday I get: "No records were found for the criteria supplied"

No I don't want to run Basestation or fiddle with trying to get something to work for free that used to be supported on older platforms. Gives me a headache! I'll look at the software you mentioned.

Any ideas about "No records were found for the criteria supplied" in the webpage reports?

jonfear

Post by jonfear » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:17 pm

HI

My best guess is that enough data has not been stored yet. Hopefully Andrew the Dev maybe able to give a more definitive answer.

Jon
http://www.360radar.co.uk, the new name for MLAT Radar in the UK and Western Europe.

Former PP feeder Bm. No longer feeding. I do not have time to sort out imaginary problems with NTP
when it has been working fine for 2+ Years.

mezoo

Post by mezoo » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:13 pm

If you are happy with an offline aircraft database then take a look at Planebase.

It will update your basestation.sqb file without any need for Basestation or ActiveDisplay running
http://www.planebase.biz/

And its free :D .

I'm just starting with it and havent got everything running properly,
But you can manually enter the registration or hex code and get a huge amount of information.

TurboCommander

Post by TurboCommander » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:29 am

I just needed to install the database writer plugin. Reports are working now. And just a note for anyone else who stumbles upon this, I thought the map wasn't working but tracks are not posted to the database until 25 minutes after the last position is received and this is by design.

I'll check out Planebase and Active Display Pro for database updates. Any comments on what the differences are between offline and online database updating?

Thank you all for the help.

Nightsurfer

Post by Nightsurfer » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:53 am

Hi, FWIW my VRS also feeds to PlanePlotter, simply because I like its logging facility.

Regards,

Julian
--
G1EKW, VRS-Bedford
Never knowingly understood