Maps Offline and other Newbie Topics

Want to post something that doesn't quite fit into the other forums? This is the place for that.
dhazen

Maps Offline and other Newbie Topics

Post by dhazen » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:07 pm

I am a new user and my main interest is using the program offline from my fire tower in northwest Colorado. I've only seen one inquiry on the topic but it appears the program needs to be online to use Google Maps. Is there any other way?

I'm still a bit confused by some aspects of the program. Initially the program showed all aircraft as being approximately 6000 miles away but I assume that was from a default location far from the American West-Southwest. Without any apparent change from me, when I started the program up a week or so ago, suddenly all the aircraft were only 10-50 miles away but it showed, for instance, some of those being Los Angeles-San Francisco or Tampa-Boston flights which was either incorrect or they were way off course!

Thanks!

Daniel N0BN
(On APRS at the fire tower as N0BN-2; otherwise mobile as N0BN-1)

GaryG

Re: Maps Offline and other Newbie Topics

Post by GaryG » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:14 am

Hello Daniel

No Internet, I assume you are using a 1090MHz receiver of some type feeding VRS.

Without Internet access, I can't think of an easy solution. At first, I was thinking PlanePlotter (free 30 day trial available) but you would have needed to have preloaded the maps of the area you would be located in while you still have Internet access. Not too difficult but without experimentation time, not a simple solution and wouldn't allow for flexibility (different zooms, etc). You could use PlanePlotter without maps though. If it's a Kinetic receiver, BaseStation does not require Internet access but it's maps aren't as detailed as Google maps.

Fire Towers - great views and even better ADS-B signal range I would assume with only one big concern (other than the main reason you are there), lightning/static protection for the receiver.

Sorry, but I can't think of a way that would work without Internet access. I think they all depend on the Internet for maps except for BaseStation but it only works for the SBS receivers. Too bad there isn't a maps.google.com emulator available.

Someone else might think of a way though...

GaryG

agw

Post by agw » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:41 pm

You can now run the site without Google Maps loaded, it will eventually time out and just show you the aircraft list or you can force it to forget about trying to load Google Maps with the query string "notOnline=1". So for example, if you are running the browser on the same computer that is running VRS then the address to load without Google Maps would be:

http://127.0.0.1/VirtualRadar/desktop.html?notOnline=1

Regarding distances, they are the distance from your browser's location to the aircraft. If you have not configured an initial browser location in Options (under Web Site) then it will default to somewhere close to West London, UK - hence the large distances :) You can set the browser location in a number of ways:

1. Click Menu | Options, tick the box to set the browser location, move the marker to where you are and then Menu | Options, clear the tick.
2. Ditto but tell the browser that it's to set the location via GPS. Only works reliably with browsers that have access to GPS hardware (e.g. mobile browsers). Most browsers will try to guess your location based on the ISP if you don't have a GPS, which can lead to some odd results.
3. Set the location in the Tools | Options | Web Site screen. This is only used on the browser's first visit to the site - to make the browser forget about previously set locations go to the Settings page on the site (Settings.html) and click Remove All.

You can tell where the current browser location is by looking for a small blue ball on the map.

CharlieAlpha

Post by CharlieAlpha » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:24 pm

Hi Daniel

I wasn't entirely sure what you meant about "working offline".

While Andrew is, of course, correct about the no google maps option. Without an internet connection you will also lose a couple of other things:
1) The "aircraft detail" panel won't display photo's of the currently selected aircraft ... unless you have previously downloaded a photo of it and configure VRS to look in the right directory
2) You won't get updates to the "Standing Data" database - this is an 'internal' database that contains information that VRS uses things like route information, aircraft category (wake class, etc), operator codes.

While VRS will function offline, at least to give you the list of aircraft detected, you will probably want to connect to the internet every now and then to at least get the standing data and route information updates.

Charlie

dhazen

Post by dhazen » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:02 am

adsbScope will apparently allow viewing aircraft on maps without a simultaneous internet connection, i.e., offline: the maps can be downloaded when there is a connection.

http://www.sprut.de/electronic/pic/proj ... sb_en.html

http://sonicgoose.com/how-to-setup-adsbscope/

Thanks.

Daniel N0BN