Question about couple of antennas

Want to post something that doesn't quite fit into the other forums? This is the place for that.
sashimi3

Question about couple of antennas

Post by sashimi3 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:14 am

Today I set up my newly acquired "Diapason MCX" antenna on a pole about 22-24 ft high. Majority of the houses around my area are single (a few two) story ranch houses. I am wondering if anybody has any experience with this antenna, especially when compared to adsb antenna from DPD antenna folks. I live in the San Jose, California area.

I am using a RTL dongle from Nooelec. The dongle is attached under the eaves of the roof of our house and I run a long USB cable from there down through the wall to my laptop inside the house.

From the map it seems, I can see aircrafts as far as may be 120-150 miles, at least based on the visible ones. I am wondering if DPD antenna would let me increase the range more or not. I probably wont be able to increase my antenna elevation more than what it is now. I am thinking it would be nice to see down up to LAX :-)

Thanks
d

ChristianS

Re: Question about couple of antennas

Post by ChristianS » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:52 pm

Please let me have Your exact location. Lat, Lon. and I will try figure out to how far You should be able to "see".

ChristianS
:)