Anyone Using VRS To Feed FlightAware?

Want to post something that doesn't quite fit into the other forums? This is the place for that.
Me109

Anyone Using VRS To Feed FlightAware?

Post by Me109 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:05 pm

Has anyone configured VRS to feed FlightAware? I created a rebroadcast server in Basestation format and pointed it to the IP and port identified here, but I'm not sure whether I'm actually sending anything usable. VRS reports data outbound and no discards.

Thanks,
Bryan

avioradar

Re: Anyone Using VRS To Feed FlightAware?

Post by avioradar » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:07 pm

you need planeplotter to feed FA

jonfear

Post by jonfear » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:20 pm

You can request a stand alone app to feed flight aware. FA has one but does not advertise it. I used it in preference to using Planeplotter.

HTH

Jon
http://www.360radar.co.uk, the new name for MLAT Radar in the UK and Western Europe.

Former PP feeder Bm. No longer feeding. I do not have time to sort out imaginary problems with NTP
when it has been working fine for 2+ Years.

Me109

Post by Me109 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:16 pm

Thanks guys, that helps.

I understand FA offers the PiAware application which I could run on my Raspberry Pi (is that the one you referred to Jon?), but I wanted to keep the Pi as lightweight as possible running only dump1090. There is Planeplotter, but I am already running VRS on a home server for both personal use and to feed VRS World, so to me running Planeplotter is redundant in providing a plotting application, simply to feed FA.

Flightradar24 is another one I used to feed, but again I asked myself why each consumer requires a unique client application, so I stopped. Maybe that's just the nature of the hobby? :)

Bryan

jonfear

Post by jonfear » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:19 pm

Hi Bryan

There is a Windows App that FA provide or certainly did used to. Drop them an email.

Jon
http://www.360radar.co.uk, the new name for MLAT Radar in the UK and Western Europe.

Former PP feeder Bm. No longer feeding. I do not have time to sort out imaginary problems with NTP

Me109

Post by Me109 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:31 am

I decided to go the PiAware route...no visible delays in processing data, i didn't even see a hiccup during the install, so everything is good.

Thanks again.

w7psk

Post by w7psk » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:28 am

Anyone know about what they use for WIN and how to get it. I dumped PP after the latest fiasco and they wanted me to once again jump
through hoops to feed data I was asked to volunteer to feed (I feed a MLAT hole they had).

I like feeding to FA though. (Not Flight Radar 24)

jonfear

Post by jonfear » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:31 am

Hi w7psk

AFAIK there is no Windows offering for FA. I thought there was a standalone client but was wrong. The only way to do it without PP is via their version of dump1090.

Personally I feed the Planefinder and FR24 commercial sites and of course VRS World. How much longer for FR24 is a matter of debate.

It would appear that the PP server is down again this morning...

Best wishes

Jon