VRS World Update 2015-01-12

Want to post something that doesn't quite fit into the other forums? This is the place for that.
jonfear

VRS World Update 2015-01-12

Post by jonfear » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:24 pm

Hi Folks,

Thank you for bearing with me over the past few weeks. I now have some good news to share with you.

After a trial period, All UK based feeds are now going through their own server, http://gb.vrs-world.com. This removes a lot of individual feeds from the main server and does not detract from the data being displayed. There is still the same coverage from the GB on VRS World but now it shows as just one feed.

Doing this has reduced the load on the server. One of our admin staff has also applied some further improvements to the configuration and this has helped further.

The load on the server is manageable but still too high. I propose to introduce another server "america.vrs-world.com". This will allow us to remove even more load off the primary server. I hope to have the server built by this coming weekend and will start to migrate our North American feeders to the new server over next weekend.

Depending on how much this move improves the main server will dictate whether we introduce a European server. Watch this space.

I would like to invite everyone who provides a feed to just check that they are feeding correctly. If you cannot connect to the servers, please drop me a line and I will investigate.

I do know that we have a few new feeders waiting for the issues to get sorted. I would especially like to invite those people to drop me a line so we can get their feeds up and running.

I am very pleased that we have been able to stabilise the server side of things. VRS World has been made by all of you and with the resolutions now in place, will remain very much alive. We are here for the long run.

With regard to Europe, I am aware that some of our German feeders are already amalgamating their feeds. Germany has one of the busiest chunks of airspace in Europe. I wonder if one of you has the bandwidth to consolidate all the German feeds? I will leave that as a thought for people to comment on. Perhaps we can persuade the other German VRS sites not already feeding to join?

The new servers I am setting up are running on very cheap Linux based virtual machines. They seem to be able to take some punishment and so seem ideal. The only issue is updating the basestation.sqb file. Hopefully we can resolve this with the Planebase team.

Finally I am retiring the info@vrs-europe.eu email address. From today onwards requests for information can go to info@vrs-world.com and support issues can go through support@vrs-world.com. In the case of support, this will be sent directly to all members of the admin team. The info address will continue to come directly to me.

My best wishes to you all

Jon
http://www.360radar.co.uk, the new name for MLAT Radar in the UK and Western Europe.

Former PP feeder Bm. No longer feeding. I do not have time to sort out imaginary problems with NTP
when it has been working fine for 2+ Years.