Merged feeds - display which receiver sees which aircraft

Want to post something that doesn't quite fit into the other forums? This is the place for that.
Pidea

Merged feeds - display which receiver sees which aircraft

Post by Pidea » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:51 pm

Evening all !

I've have a number of RPi receivers scattered around which I merge into a single merged feed. Is there a way to show which feed is receiving each aircraft by adding another column to the list of aircraft? I was thinking something like:

Rock 01 (Receiver 1, Reciver 2)
Wolf 01 (Receiver 1)
Marham 48 (Receiver 2)

As I'm interested in military aircraft which don't show their location it would be helpful to know which receiver(s) can see the aircraft in question so I can get a rough idea of their locations.

TIA

agw

Re: Merged feeds - display which receiver sees which aircraf

Post by agw » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:32 am

You can add a column to show the receiver that is currently being used by the merged feed to supply messages from the aircraft (I think it's just called Receiver), but you can't see a list of all of the receivers that are picking up the aircraft. That information isn't being kept by the merged feed.

T-EGJA1

Post by T-EGJA1 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:39 am

A workaround might be to use multiple browser tabs - have one set up to display your merged feed and one for each receiver - it would require switching between tabs to see which receiver(s) are receiving which a/c - a tad inconvenient, but might provide the info you want.
Terry

Pidea

Post by Pidea » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:24 am

Thanks for the replies guys. Multiple tabs, although a work around, wouldn't work in my case as I'm running VRS on an ancient computer and the more tabs I have open the slooooower it gets.

Really must update to something more powerful at some point !

@agw - not quite sure I understand you. In Options I've got Receivers and then four receivers underneath that .... so are you saying that it won't pick up the individual name of the receiver but just 'Reciever' ?

Phil

T-EGJA1

Post by T-EGJA1 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:40 am

On the map, go: Menu > Options > List tab > List Settings > select 'Receiver' in the drop-down box and Add ... this will add a receiver column to the list view which will show the name of the receiver that is receiving the a/c

The name of the receiver shown will be whatever name you've given it in the main VRS Options configuration pane.

From my experience however, it shows the name of the receiver that first picks up the a/c and continues to display that name until that receiver loses contact - other receivers may also be receiving the same a/c and depending on its position/direction, may be getting a stronger signal; so I'm not sure this will be a great deal of help for you.
Terry

Pidea

Post by Pidea » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:53 am

Brilliant Terry, thank you for that. From that menu I've also managed to get rid of the some of the columns that I didn't want too :-)

So if only one receiver is shown in the merged feed but two or more receivers are actually picking up the aircraft, how does VRS know which receiver to list ? Is it done randomly, on the most recent update or by signal strength ?

Phil

T-EGJA1

Post by T-EGJA1 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:56 pm

As far as I can tell, VRS lists the first receiver to pick up the a/c and continues to list that receiver until it loses contact - it will then list a different receiver if another one still has contact .... I think ........ but perhaps agw can clarify for us.
Terry

Pidea

Post by Pidea » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:25 pm

That would make sense although wouldn't allow a second receiver with a stronger signal to be shown. As you say, agw sounds like the man who would know !

Phil

agw

Post by agw » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:36 pm

T-EGJA1 wrote:As far as I can tell, VRS lists the first receiver to pick up the a/c and continues to list that receiver until it loses contact - it will then list a different receiver if another one still has contact ....
That's pretty much exactly how it works :) Once a receiver gets a message for an aircraft it becomes the sole source of messages for that aircraft until three seconds elapse without any messages from it. After those three seconds are up the first receiver to get another message from the aircraft takes over and becomes the sole source of messages for it.

You can configure the three second timeout when you set up the merged feed.

Jester

Post by Jester » Sat May 02, 2015 5:00 pm

agw wrote:
T-EGJA1 wrote:As far as I can tell, VRS lists the first receiver to pick up the a/c and continues to list that receiver until it loses contact - it will then list a different receiver if another one still has contact ....
That's pretty much exactly how it works :) Once a receiver gets a message for an aircraft it becomes the sole source of messages for that aircraft until three seconds elapse without any messages from it. After those three seconds are up the first receiver to get another message from the aircraft takes over and becomes the sole source of messages for it.

You can configure the three second timeout when you set up the merged feed.
any chance on doing this based on receiver signal level ?