VRS auto start on boot (Windows Server)

Want to post something that doesn't quite fit into the other forums? This is the place for that.
jnewell

VRS auto start on boot (Windows Server)

Post by jnewell » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:35 pm

Hello,
I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with setting the VRS executable as a startup task to be done on boot on a windows server machine (using Task Scheduler)
I tried using the -nogui argument, but it still wants to pop up a command window, which is preventing the task from running.
Just need it to be able to come back up, in case the server auto reboots, or has to be restarted for some reason.

Thanks in advance,
Joshua Newell

agw

Re: VRS auto start on boot (Windows Server)

Post by agw » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:21 pm

I think you can configure GUI windows applications to start via the task scheduler, I don't think you need to use VRS's -nogui switch. However, if VRS is started by the task scheduler for a user that isn't logged in then I don't think you're going to see its window when you do log in, you'll have no way to interact with it.

When I finally get the time to finish the web admin plugin you'll be able to use that to control the program, but for now I think the only recourse is to have the program start on login. You could set up an auto-login but you might not want to do that if other people have access to the machine.

haebigou

Post by haebigou » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:59 am

Hello,

Has there been any new way of autostarting VRS since this was last asked? I don't actually need the GUI to run, just the receiving, merging and rebroadcasting services actually.

Thank you for a great piece of software!

UA4WIY

Post by UA4WIY » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:02 am

VRS can be installed as a service and run automatically.

haebigou

Post by haebigou » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:27 pm

Huh, TIL!

I'm not able to run the installer though, I get "Unable to get installer types in the VirtualRadar-Service.exe assembly".
Steps to reproduce:
- Powershell as Administrator
- VirtualRadar-Service.exe -install -noWebAdmin

Any idea what I might be missing? There's little documentation about the service unfortunately.

agw

Post by agw » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:12 pm

Sorry for the (very!) late reply. The service exectable in the version 2 installer is a mistake, it should only be in the version 3 (beta) installer. If you install the v3 beta then you can install VRS as a service.

haebigou

Post by haebigou » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:48 am

Awesome, thanks Andrew!