Clear "Receiver Range"??

Want to post something that doesn't quite fit into the other forums? This is the place for that.
Hacklzwerg

Clear "Receiver Range"??

Post by Hacklzwerg » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:40 pm

Hello!

I'm newbie to Virtual Radar, but thinking it's great work...

Some personals: I'm located in Straubing, Germany and 50 years old

here's my question:

Changed antenna position and cables...
So i want to see if there's any change in receiving data...
I can see if there is better receiving, but worse is not available, cause the old diagramm is shown

Where or how can i delete or clear the old "range data", so that this diagram is built up new????

Greets

Stefan

agw

Re: Clear "Receiver Range"??

Post by agw » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:41 pm

If you go to Help | About and click the link to the configuration folder on the screen that appears then you should get a Windows Explorer window open on the program's configuration folder. In there is a folder called SavedPlots, and in that folder are .JSON files, one for each receiver. Those JSON files are where the range plots are being saved.

If you rename the JSON file for the receiver you are testing antennas on then the next time you start VRS it will start a new range plot from scratch.

It is possible to compare the plots for the old and new antenna on the web site, but it involves kludging the files a little bit. What you have to do is:

1. Create a new receiver in VRS, call it "Old Antenna". Give it a location but do not connect it to anything, just set the port number to something invalid like 10101.
2. Stop the program and go to the SavedPlots folder. You should have a file called Old Antenna.json. If you don't then you forgot to give the fake receiver a location.
3. Edit the JSON file in Notepad (right-click, Open With..., expand the Other Programs section, choose Notepad).
4. You should see a line towards the top the starts with "FeedId": followed by a number. Make a note of that number. It's the identifier for the fake receiver.
5. Quit notepad and delete Old Antenna.json.
6. Rename the real antenna's JSON file to Old Antenna.json
7. Edit Old Antenna.json with notepad and find the FeedId line. Change the ID to the number you noted in step 4 - it needs to be using the fake receiver's identifier.

When you restart VRS it will create a new plot for the real receiver and show you the old plot when you view Old Antenna's plot on the web site.

Hacklzwerg

Re: Clear "Receiver Range"??

Post by Hacklzwerg » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:01 pm

Hello agw!

That's great!
operated at the first attempt.. :D :D :D

Now i'm able to compare my received data...

Thanks a lot for your very fast and competent reply!!!

Stefan