PlaneAlerter 2.0

Want to post something that doesn't quite fit into the other forums? This is the place for that.
EcstaticMark

Re: PlaneAlerter 2.0

Post by EcstaticMark » Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:01 pm

Wowzers! This is a very useful program for me. Thanks for writing and sharing it.
I have a question and a feature request.
The default radar, http://127.0.0.1/VirtualRadar/AircraftList.json, only seems to look at my local radar. Is there a URL for a merged feed? I have an ADS-B receiver, a merged feed with MLAT from FligtAware and data from adsbhub.net. My VRS is at http://exstatic.ddns.net/virtualradar if that helps explain what I'm talking about.
Also, the email 'Goto Radar' links to a local address (http://127.0.0.1/VirtualRadar/). Is it possible to change this to point to an IP/host so if the email is opened on a machine other than the PC running VRS it will open the VRS?

Thanks again,
Mark

convoy6978

Post by convoy6978 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:11 pm

Hello,

Have the same problem by the aircraftlist.json url. Typed it exact as described in previous posts in this thread but get the "error parsing aircraftList.json response, increasing response buffer to 100000 bytes.....
Anyone who can help me?
What should I type in the removal timeout and refresh rate fields?

Thanks!

bilbolodz

Post by bilbolodz » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:56 pm

Not working for me. I've got an error (after some time of waiting): "Error while connecting to AircraftList.json". The same URL (copy/paste) with the same credentials working perfectly in browser.....

alpha15

Post by alpha15 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:19 am

Hey guys, First of all i want to thank the creator of PlaneAlerter 2.0 for this amazing program ! :)

Secondly, i faced a lot of issues until i finally get it to work. I tried several ways to fix it but without any result.

Until I found the magic solution.. All i needed was to Enable "Less Secure Apps" on my gmail account... then all fixed.

For all of you that you face an issue with smtp connections etc, you can give a try on the following google instructions link

https://support.google.com/accounts/ans ... 0255?hl=en

Congrats for the job and we are waiting for the next release of version 3.0 ;)

Keep up the good work !

M1AXM

Post by M1AXM » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:10 pm

Hi,

I like what you have done with this - good job, well done! I found your software whilst starting to develop my own similar software. What I am looking to do is add the function to post directly to twitter, so was wondering if your code was available on codeplex or something?

Many thanks

Dom :D

Dom2364

Post by Dom2364 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:30 am

Sorry about the delay, I've forgotten about this forum for months and for some reason I don't have email alerts enabled for this thread. First of all, the "error parsing aircraftlist.json response" message isn't actually an error. All it means is that the program needs to allow for more data to be received, which it will handle automatically. Tonight I will release a patch that will remove that message. Also tonight I will sort out the suggestions and bugs and reply here with what is going to happen in the next update.

EDIT:
Ok I've just discovered that issue with using gmail for the smtp server that xristostra86 pointed out. Turns out any third party program that tries to log in to a user's account using their raw credentials will get blocked as a security measure. Trying to fix all of these smtp issues is getting tiring now, so in the next version I will likely move all of the email sending to my email server using alerts@dom2364.com. This should also remove the need for setting up any email settings. Going to work on the smtp in the next few days, then get to the other issues.

EDIT 2:
Ok I've figured out how to get the email working from my server and how the security is going to work. The new system will take at least a week to code and test, then I can start on the other issues. Until I fix it you will just have to use the method xristostra86 found:
xristostra86 wrote:Hey guys, First of all i want to thank the creator of PlaneAlerter 2.0 for this amazing program ! :)

Secondly, i faced a lot of issues until i finally get it to work. I tried several ways to fix it but without any result.

Until I found the magic solution.. All i needed was to Enable "Less Secure Apps" on my gmail account... then all fixed.

For all of you that you face an issue with smtp connections etc, you can give a try on the following google instructions link

https://support.google.com/accounts/ans ... 0255?hl=en

Congrats for the job and we are waiting for the next release of version 3.0 ;)

Keep up the good work !
EDIT 4: Decided that setting up my own email server is a bit impractical for this, so I'm just going to add a link to the settings page to fix the gmail issue.
I write software and take photos.
AussieADSB
Full Throttle Photography

Dom2364

Post by Dom2364 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:33 pm

Update is done and on the website!
Changes are:
  • Removed "error parsing aircraftlist.json response" error message
  • Added link in settings to enable less secure apps for gmail
  • Added report lookup (using desktopReport.html) and airframes.org lookup to emails
  • Altitude_AMSL and Air_Pressure properties added
Download page is here

About what the different settings do, you can hover over the text next to the text box to get a brief description on how to use it.
The removal timeout is how long it takes to mark an aircraft as gone. Keep in mind this is seconds after removal from VRS, so this includes the removal time from VRS's display. Setting this value to a longer time will reduce multiple alerts for a single aircraft when ADS-B signal drops out.
Refresh rate is the time in seconds between each check. This is mainly used to reduce data usage as at the moment my radar's aircraftlist.json is 30KB for 15 aircraft.

As for creating alerts for specific receivers, you can use the 'Receiver' property in the conditions to only alert for aircraft in that receiver. You will have to find the id of the receiver you want to use by looking at the Receiver property in an alert email from that receiver. Each alert email shows the receiver name at the top so you can easily match the id to the name.

bilbolodz, if you could reply back or pm me with the full error message (There should have been a detailed message in brackets after) and the url you entered into the settings, I can try to figure out how to get it working.

M1AXM, I may open source the program later using GitHub or something similar. Twitter integration sounds like a great idea, I could code it in for the next update if you want, or you can wait until I open source it.
I write software and take photos.
AussieADSB
Full Throttle Photography

darrylcn

Post by darrylcn » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:17 pm

Registered just to say thanks! This program is a lot more feature filled than what I'd been using with PlanePlotter.

Mac

Post by Mac » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:20 pm

Hi,

First of all great program !

Is there any way to limit what info is sent in the email ?
I'm using Pushover.net for alerts and I only want certain fields in the message body.

All the best,

Mac

Mac

Post by Mac » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:35 pm

Hi,

Is there anyway to edit the Radar URL ?
Currently it points to a 127.0.0.1 address and I cant seem to edit it??

Thanks

Mac