PlaneAlerter 2.0

Want to post something that doesn't quite fit into the other forums? This is the place for that.
Feek

Re: PlaneAlerter 2.0

Post by Feek »

I've just started using this and it's great, thanks.

One thing though. I've set up an alert for First and Last contacts and when the emails come through, the first one says "First Contact Alert!" in the subject but the message body says Last Contact. The reverse is the same when the last contact email comes through, the subject says "Last Contact Alert!" but the message body says First Contact.
Toshi_JPS

Post by Toshi_JPS »

From few days ago. Can not work tweet program. Anyone help me??
Imagepa001 by Toshiro Aoki, on Flickr
Dom2364

Post by Dom2364 »

Thanks for the error report Toshi, I have checked my Twitter developer account and PlaneAlerter has been restricted to API read access only for some reason. I haven't received any emails or information as to why that happened. I have submitted a form to Twitter support to try and resolve the issue. Until the API access issue is fixed tweets won't work for anyone using PlaneAlerter.
I write software and take photos.
AussieADSB
Full Throttle Photography
Toshi_JPS

Post by Toshi_JPS »

Thank you Dom😊 I’m waiting any fix.
It’s very nice program. Thank you again!!
Dom2364

Post by Dom2364 »

Just uploaded 2.1.7, Twitter should now be fixed. In the new update mentions in tweets are no longer allowed as per the Twitter automation rules. The reason for the API access being restricted was that they detected large volumes of unsolicited mentions. Also in the new update, Twitter error messages now include extra information, and the distance property should now work for countries using commas as decimal separators thanks to Recoil016 on Github. Because the Twitter API key has changed, all versions prior to 2.1.7 will now show authentication errors when trying to access the Twitter API.

Download link: https://github.com/Dom2364/PlaneAlerter/releases/latest
AussieADSB
Toshi_JPS

Post by Toshi_JPS »

Now completely working :D Thank you very much Dom!!
Dom2364

Post by Dom2364 »

New update, just uploaded 2.2.0 with quite a few changes. Here's the list of the main ones:

Added stop/start and restart buttons for checking
Added start checker on program start setting so checking can be started manually
Allowed conditions without emails or twitter enabled (notification/sound only)
Main form now has adjustable layout
Changed active alerts list to table
Removed uptime from stats to prevent stats updating every second
Added more aircraft info to notifications and active alerts table
Added separate links in email for desktop/mobile VRS reports
Mobile VRS report link is now used in tweets
Reports now sort by date newest to oldest
Fixed logging
Log file now also has date, condition name, receiver and first/last contact

Thanks to those that have been reporting bugs and suggesting new features, if you have any feedback you can reply to this thread
AussieADSB
Dom2364

Post by Dom2364 »

Just found a pretty major bug today and released a fix for it. Any condition that has a trigger with comparison type equal or not equal, and an empty value will not work prior to this version. So any alerts for registration/callsign empty etc would never be sent. This was due to properties from VRS being null if they did not exist, and null does not equal an empty string.

AussieADSB
Dom2364

Post by Dom2364 »

New update with a few more bug fixes, main one should hopefully solve some alerts being sent that shouldn't be. In some cases a check may happen between an aircraft appearing on VRS and it's database info or other properties like callsign/squawk etc loading, and PlaneAlerter wasn't checking if the conditions no longer match when sending the alert. Full changelog is on GitHub.

AussieADSB
mickeyjaw

Post by mickeyjaw »

Hi @Dom2364 I'd just like to say I stumbled across this the other day and I like what you've done but I've also made a few changes to make it better suit my needs.

I've sent you a pull request on GitHub for the changes I've made. A couple are extra features, and a couple are intended to reduce bandwidth requirements as the VRS I'm connecting to is off-grid (solar powered Raspberry Pi on a metered 4G internet connection).

Changes made:

* Aircraft list now requested without trails during checks. Trails are only needed when generating a map for emails/tweets so now the aircraft list with trails is only requested once an alert is generated. This reduces bandwidth usage by several orders of magnitude.

* When trails are requested (at alert time) they are now requested with altitude data

* Option in email settings to generate a .KML of the trail and attach it so you can see the 3D flight path in Google Earth

* Options in email settings to centre the emailed map on the Latitude/Longitude used for distance calculation, or to centre on the aircraft (previous behaviour, and default in the new version).

* Options in settings to limit the downloaded aircraft list to a certain distance from set Lat/Long, or to below a certain altitude - again this can reduce bandwidth requirements when you are only interested in aircraft near a certain point.

I realise the bandwidth reduction changes might be a bit 'niche' but I don't know if you feel like it's worth merging anyway to add the other features?

Also, I don't know if you already know this, but PlaneAlerter crashes and burns if you try to run it on Linux under the mono framework. I'm not quite sure why but looking at the code I can see there are some native calls to Win32 so maybe that's the culprit? I also can't get my head around the way you've implemented multithreaded access to the GUI. I'd love to chat about this at some time, I really want to get it running on the same RPi as VRS if I can. I might completely strip out the UI and make a console (headless) version if there is likely to be demand for that?