PlaneAlerter 2.0

Want to post something that doesn't quite fit into the other forums? This is the place for that.
Dom2364

Re: PlaneAlerter 2.0

Post by Dom2364 »

Hi mickeyjaw,

I've had a quick look at the pull request, really appreciate the work you've done. I like the idea of all of those features, and the bandwidth reduction benefits everyone. I'll properly review and merge it when I get around to doing more work on PlaneAlerter, quite busy at the moment. At the moment I'll maybe have the next version ready in a few weeks, depends on how busy I am with other things and how many problems I run into while working on it.

As for Mono, it does use a method from user32.dll to fix an issue with drawing the status label and I'm not sure if Windows Forms is supported by Mono. I could try to migrate the program to .NET 5 which would make it natively cross-platform to support Linux and Mac as well. I might be able to find a copy of PlaneAlerter 1.0 which was a console app, that might work with Mono until 2.0 supports Linux. 1.0 is very basic compared to the current state the program is in though.
I write software and take photos.
AussieADSB
Full Throttle Photography
mickeyjaw

Post by mickeyjaw »

Yeah, I'd seen that reference to Win32 and suspect it might be part of the issue with mono. For my purposes I'm still very interested in getting this to run on non-x86 architectures under Linux and I'm prepared to put some effort in to make this happen. I'll let you know how I get along and make sure I upload any changes to my GitHub.

PS: What's the license? I can't see a copyright notice anywhere and there are a few people interested in what I'm doing with this. I'd like to be able to distribute my derivative version to them. Are you prepared to declare it to be under a common FOSS license like GPL/MIT/BSD/whatever? Or should I assume it's 'Public Domain'?
Dom2364

Post by Dom2364 »

I'll look into deciding on a license for PlaneAlerter, at the moment I'm thinking GNU GPLv3 or something similar.
AussieADSB
mickeyjaw

Post by mickeyjaw »

Just to let you know, there are two different things mono doesn't like.

This throws a NotImplementedException:

Code: Select all

ThreadManagerDispatcher.BeginInvoke((MethodInvoker)(() => {
The old way of doing it seems to work ok:

Code: Select all

Thread startThread = new Thread(() => {
And of course the "Sendmessage" call to user32.dll, which actually 'sort of' works on Linux but requires running it as root which I'm not prepared to do. In any case I've redirected all the status bar and console outputs to System.console rather than the main window as that's the way I'd prefer it to work on a Pi.

Please do let me know when you decide on a license. I'm also working on a few more feature updates, watch this space...
Dom2364

Post by Dom2364 »

New version, some big changes in this one.

Thanks to MikeJaworski on GitHub for contributing some of the features in this version.

Here's the changes:
Removed wait for alerts so alerts are sent instantly now
Added filtering of AircraftList by distance, altitude and receiver
Added attaching KML to alert emails
Added setting to centre maps on provided lat/lng instead of aircraft
Aircraft trails are now only downloaded when generating a map or kml file
Updated all NuGet packages
Updated TweetInvi to 5.0
Added higher/lower than comparison types to WTC (Wake Turbulence Category) and Trt (Transponder Type) properties
Other minor changes/fixes

The lib folder will need to be replaced with the new one due to to updated NuGet packages
Program now ignores aircraft without reg and type, with a flight count of 0

Download link: https://github.com/Dom2364/PlaneAlerter/releases/latest
AussieADSB