PlaneAlerter 2.0

Want to post something that doesn't quite fit into the other forums? This is the place for that.
xristostra86

Re: PlaneAlerter 2.0

Post by xristostra86 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:48 pm

I don't think so. But you can try ;)

loplo

Post by loplo » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:58 pm

I'm in the same boat. VRS install is on the default port.
Fresh windows 10 install, after my old HDD died while moving to NZ :(

Code: Select all

ERROR: Error while connecting to AircraftList.json (The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a receive.)
Tried hostname, local IP and 127.0.0.1. No joy

darrylcn

Post by darrylcn » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:15 pm

darrylcn wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:17 pm
Checking in with some troubleshooting help just in case anyone else is facing the same issue I just fixed.

My VRS map was functioning fine when I'd visit on my phone, however my PlaneAlerter emails had no map, instead they contained an error with the URL g.co/staticmaperror/key.

The issue (it appears) was me not checking the box in VRS to "Use Google Maps API key with local requests". I'm guessing PlaneAlerter sends the local map at the instant it matches an alert condition. With my local map erroring out, I was getting the error.

I found the issue I'm having. The map in the PlaneAlerter maps is grey, with an error URL of g.co/staticmaperror/key because my Google Maps API key isn't being added to the URL for the map included in the emails. When I open the Open Map link in the email it's still grey but if I add "&key=(my registered API key)" to the end of the URL the map loads in a browser.

Dom, is there any way you can add an API key field in the PlaneAlerter options, like VRS has, so the API key gets used in the email alerts? I think that's the fix for this bug, if that's what you'd call this. I'm not sure why nobody else is getting grey error Maps in their emails, but mine just stopped working last week without any changes on my end. The Static Maps documentation seems to support my thoughts because it mentions adding your API key to your application (Step 2 here):

https://developers.google.com/maps/docu ... et-api-key

Dom2364

Post by Dom2364 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:19 pm

Thought it might have needed an api key. I've generated a key and I'll add it to planealerter tomorrow, it just passed midnight here in australia. Should also be able to fix the invalid email bug and maybe a few other things tomorrow.
I write software and take photos.
AussieADSB
Full Throttle Photography

darrylcn

Post by darrylcn » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:21 pm

That should work or you can give us the option to use our own. They have usage limits on them so it might be better for you to let us use ours so you don't wind up exceeding limits and being charged money. Maybe I misunderstood but it sounded like you were going to let us use your key so I wanted to let you know. Or maybe you've got a paid API setup that has tons of usage built in, if so you can disregard heh.

Dom2364

Post by Dom2364 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:00 pm

I'll just use my key, google maps gives everyone with a key $200 in free credit per month which should allow for 616 maps generated per day which should be enough. If anyone is getting like 200 alerts per day I might add something in the settings where you can enter your own key.
AussieADSB

darrylcn

Post by darrylcn » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:22 pm

Sure. So I get anywhere from 20-40 emails a day just myself since I have military planes nearby alerting. Does each email count against your use? If so yeah allowing us to use our own might be best. Thanks for being on here too, as always.

Dom2364

Post by Dom2364 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:52 pm

Pretty sure a request is only made when you actually open the email to view it, all planealerter does is generate a link and add it to the email.
AussieADSB

loplo

Post by loplo » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:07 am

loplo wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:58 pm
I'm in the same boat. VRS install is on the default port.
Fresh windows 10 install, after my old HDD died while moving to NZ :(

Code: Select all

ERROR: Error while connecting to AircraftList.json (The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a receive.)
Tried hostname, local IP and 127.0.0.1. No joy
BTW, issue solved.
The problem was generated by the Timeout setting. Changed it from 0 to 1 and it started working.

Dom2364

Post by Dom2364 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:40 am

New update is up, should fix most of the issues in the past few months.

Changes:
Added API Key to static maps in emails
Changed open map link in emails to google maps link
Set minimum timeout length to 5 seconds
Emails are now validated in the condition editor
Fixed a bug with condition loading when there were no conditions

Download here
AussieADSB