PlaneAlerter 2.0

Want to post something that doesn't quite fit into the other forums? This is the place for that.
Dom2364

Re: PlaneAlerter 2.0

Post by Dom2364 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:10 am

Ok I think I get it now, apps created using a developer account also have access tokens so they can be used like regular accounts. Don't think it would be worth adding though, I would have to redo the code for authenticating accounts, and the current method is the one recommended to use by twitter. Using the access token of an app to tweet is for situations where the developer is the only user of the program, if multiple users are using the program then the program should use one app and each user should authenticate using their own account. AboveTustin probably lets people add their own API key and access token so the developers don't have to create an app on twitter and it's easier not having to add code to login to twitter.
I write software and take photos.
AussieADSB
Full Throttle Photography

TurboCommander

Post by TurboCommander » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:23 am

I see PlaneAlerter 2.1.4 is available. Is there something that needs to be done to upgrade from 2.1.3 or just copy the new files to the existing program folder? Or copy the .json files to the new program folder? I had 2.1.3 configured, dropped the 2.1.4 files into the existing folder, now it thinks all jets are amphibians due to old condition species 3 now changed to engine type 3. Other conditions changed also but I didn't record them all and just switched back to 2.1.3.

Also 2.1.3 release notes say "Fixed issue causing aircraft photos not to appear in emails" but I still cannot see photos in email, just two placeholders where photos should be.

Also, the executable details for both 2.1.3 and 2.1.4 show ver 2.0.0

Thanks a million Dom, I finally upgraded from ver1.0 after running it for many years. Fantastic work!

loplo

Post by loplo » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:25 am

Dom2364 wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:10 am
AboveTustin probably lets people add their own API key and access token so the developers don't have to create an app on twitter and it's easier not having to add code to login to twitter.
That's how it works. Thanks for looking into it and answering my question.

Dom2364

Post by Dom2364 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:58 am

Just deleted the 2.1.4 release. Seems like because I added the bearing property all of the properties in condition triggers have been shifted. Because the selected property is stored as a number in conditions.json, when I added bearing all of the numbers were shifted in the program but don't change in conditions.json, so all of the properties are loaded wrong. Need to come up with a better system for storing the trigger properties and it will likely not be able to load conditions.json files from previous versions. Also you can update the program by overwriting the old version's files or just moving the json files to the new version, it shouldn't matter. I've also added to the todo list to investigate the aircraft photos and update the executable version.
AussieADSB

Dom2364

Post by Dom2364 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:45 am

2.1.4 is back on Github, found a way to add new properties without modifying the conditions.json format. Also updated the version number in the exe file. Had a look at the aircraft photos thing again and it seems like sometimes the image links returned by VRS sometimes don't work as they are relative url's that only work on the radar page. Only seems to happen sometimes so it might depend on the version of VRS.

2.1.4: https://github.com/Dom2364/PlaneAlerter ... /tag/2.1.4
AussieADSB

Cetar

Post by Cetar » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:16 pm

Hi Dom, I have a question about how to get it working:
So i added twitter account, and edited settings aircraftlist.json url and radar url.
Then created 2 conditions:

first:
It is beginning of ICAO address so its:
Property:ICAO
Comparison Type:Starts with
Value: ABC
where i expect this condition to work only for first 3 symbols of HEX 24bit address, is it correct? for example:
ABC123 condition is pass and will report
1ABC23 condition is fail and will not report

second is only 1 icao with comparison type equals and i expect it to be binary... It either is pass or is not.

also, my AircraftList.json does not show any aircraft. It only shows 5 channels i have and other tags but not aircrafts - is it ok?
Because both of my conditions should be pass but nothing is happening.
How can i check if the app sees the aircraft in the VRS?

Thank you in advance.

Martin

Cetar

Post by Cetar » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:29 pm

Cetar wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:16 pm
Hi Dom, I have a question about how to get it working:
So i added twitter account, and edited settings aircraftlist.json url and radar url.
Then created 2 conditions:

first:
It is beginning of ICAO address so its:
Property:ICAO
Comparison Type:Starts with
Value: ABC
where i expect this condition to work only for first 3 symbols of HEX 24bit address, is it correct? for example:
ABC123 condition is pass and will report
1ABC23 condition is fail and will not report

second is only 1 icao with comparison type equals and i expect it to be binary... It either is pass or is not.

also, my AircraftList.json does not show any aircraft. It only shows 5 channels i have and other tags but not aircrafts - is it ok?
Because both of my conditions should be pass but nothing is happening.
How can i check if the app sees the aircraft in the VRS?

Thank you in advance.

Martin
Solved with this post:
Re: AircraftList.json questions
post by yi_son » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:10 am
Okay I think I figured out the issue with #2. I had to set Web site receiver under the Options menu and it looks like all the aircraft being mapped is in the json
Empty channel was chosen here...
Now it works. Thank you

Dom2364

Post by Dom2364 » Sat May 23, 2020 8:16 am

Just released a new update, fixed a crash caused by the google map image url's being too long for windows to download when posting tweets. Changed to a new method of downloading the map image that isn't limited by windows' file length limit of 260 characters. Before if a map in a tweet had more than about 20 trail points the program would crash, now maps can have 440 trail points and planealerter will not crash. This might also fix map images sometimes not showing in emails.

Download it here: https://github.com/Dom2364/PlaneAlerter/releases/latest
AussieADSB

darrylcn

Post by darrylcn » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:40 pm

Just checking in for my regular thanks Dom, great work again, loving that Bearing inclusion.

Feek

Post by Feek » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:33 pm

I've just started using this and it's great, thanks.

One thing though. I've set up an alert for First and Last contacts and when the emails come through, the first one says "First Contact Alert!" in the subject but the message body says Last Contact. The reverse is the same when the last contact email comes through, the subject says "Last Contact Alert!" but the message body says First Contact.