Old Unit info

Want to post something that doesn't quite fit into the other forums? This is the place for that.
brennan74

Old Unit info

Post by brennan74 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:23 pm

Have my dongle running on VRS, mostly into Military but when aircraft appear a lot of the unit info is outdated is there a fix to this. I downloaded all the logos and silhouettes from SBS resource downloads, not sure what else to do, thanks.

agw

Re: Old Unit info

Post by agw » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:13 pm

The short answer is that all of the things like registration etc. are coming from your BaseStation.sqb. To keep that up-to-date you need to be running 3rd party software that will update the file for you - for example PlaneBase. However, all of the 3rd party updaters that I'm aware of are Windows-only.

However, I am writing a *basic* aircraft lookup, and I'll be changing the database writer plugin to optionally write the results of the lookups back to BaseStation.sqb, as well as fetching updates for out-of-date records. All the bits are almost in place now, there should be something in preview for it over the next couple of weeks. If you're running under Linux then hopefully it should go some way to addressing the problem of keeping BaseStation.sqb reasonably up-to-date.

brennan74

Post by brennan74 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:36 pm

thanks for your response, im on Windows 10, so i look forward to your program, thanks again.

brennan74

Post by brennan74 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:04 pm

Is there an idiots guide to installing this? I was able to link PBLink through my sqb location, been updating for a few hours now, is that normal? Not sire how to work the plane base. Thanks.

agw

Post by agw » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:44 pm

That sounds normal, I think PBLink just runs forever. When it sees a new aircraft in the database it calls the mothership to get details for it and writes those back to your BaseStation.sqb.

brennan74

Post by brennan74 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:42 pm

OK ill let it run, cant really get it to do anything else. Tried a few different basestation.sqb as well, kinda amazing the difference they show and how the can alter VRS. Trying to find the most up to date, tried planebiz but was denied access. Do you know of any?

brennan74

Post by brennan74 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:39 am

AGW, i have noticed with more newer sqb's that all my US mil comes up as RCH. My outdated sqb one that i linked to PBlink shows old outdated info i some stuff, is there a reason for this? Also that PBlink has been running for a few days shows i still have over 5000 unknowns, but nothing shows in the added column, am i doing something wrong?

think i figured the planebase/pblink. I never downloaded the stuff into planebase for PBlink to read

Cheers

agw

Post by agw » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:40 pm

PlaneBase isn't my program, your best bet for getting good answers to your questions about it is probably their Google Groups group:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/planebase

Me109

Post by Me109 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:42 pm

brennan74 wrote:AGW, i have noticed with more newer sqb's that all my US mil comes up as RCH. My outdated sqb one that i linked to PBlink shows old outdated info i some stuff, is there a reason for this? Also that PBlink has been running for a few days shows i still have over 5000 unknowns, but nothing shows in the added column, am i doing something wrong?

think i figured the planebase/pblink. I never downloaded the stuff into planebase for PBlink to read

Cheers
Regarding nothing showing in the added column, is monitoring enabled? I've found the update from version 2 to 3 for PBlink/PlaneBase has resulted in instability on my system (WHS 2011), occasionally it acts strangely where it won't even begin monitoring/writing. Overtime it will stop updating/running, usually every few days when it stops purging unknowns hourly ultimately crashing. I've gotten into the habit of restarting it every few days.

With respect to RCH, it's a generic call sign for AMC flights, so I think whomever created the PlaneBase database applied it to the majority of the .mil aircraft. I've been updating the units in my DB over time, but it's tedious. The other aspect too is that a/c are frequently reassigned between units, so keeping a "master" DB is moot (IMO). I question whether it's even worth the time I'm spending now...