mlat-server by mutability

Want to post something that doesn't quite fit into the other forums? This is the place for that.
Skibox

Re: mlat-server by mutability

Postby Skibox » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:18 am

GregoryGHarding wrote:i have a few planefinder.net boxes that output basestation

Is there even a usable timestamp in the basestation format? In any case you cant convert it to beast, and expect the mlat client to accept it as a beast timestamp, they are different. I use 2 SBS receivers where we pull data from 30006 or USB, and you must then keep this format and tell mlat-client it is an SBS timestamp.

GregoryGHarding wrote:and i have a few fr24 receivers that output raw

??? RTFM.

https://github.com/mutability/mlat-clie ... -receivers
Unsupported receivers:
The FlightRadar24 radarcape-based receiver. This produces a deliberately crippled timestamp in its output, making it useless for multilateration.

Like I suspected, none of your clients will work. Get clients that supports timestamps and it will work.

/M

GregoryGHarding

Postby GregoryGHarding » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:30 am

as far as i know, they dont use the radarscape based receivers anymore? i was under the impression the fr24 boxes i had wernt applicable to that. so, i did actually RTFM :p

thanks for the feedback on basestation to beast timestamps. il look into if theres an alternate output from those boxes.

im the mean time. any ideas on why the webpages are blank?

Skibox

Postby Skibox » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:42 am

GregoryGHarding wrote:as far as i know, they dont use the radarscape based receivers anymore? i was under the impression the fr24 boxes i had wernt applicable to that.

Doesn't it look like this https://www.google.se/imgres?imgurl=htt ... MwgpKA0wDQ,

That is a radarcape hardware with FR24-specific software. As far as I know that's what they are using and have been since 2012. I have several of them myself...

/M

GregoryGHarding

Postby GregoryGHarding » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:46 am

Skibox wrote:
GregoryGHarding wrote:as far as i know, they dont use the radarscape based receivers anymore? i was under the impression the fr24 boxes i had wernt applicable to that.

Doesn't it look like this https://www.google.se/imgres?imgurl=htt ... MwgpKA0wDQ,

That is a radarcape hardware with FR24-specific software. As far as I know that's what they are using and have been since 2012. I have several of them myself...

/M

that is does, you are correct. oh well. when it comes to those locations i can always y-connect a dongle and run modsmixer for the feed.

GregoryGHarding

Postby GregoryGHarding » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:28 am

jonfear wrote:Greg

Check /var/log/ for the server messages. Something like "cat server-errors.log" If you are getting lots of errors then "tail -f /var/log/server-errors.log". This will show each new error message as it arrives.

Looking back through the post, it looks like your client are pointing to internal IP addresses. This seems wrong. Are you using a VPN or similar to move the data from the clients?

By default this system resides on the net. The clients point directly to the ip or domain name of the server. If you are going through a VPN, this "may" cause issues.

Fortunately this is a linux package and so is very powerful however it is not for the linux novice. There is a steep learning curve even for the likes of me who has used linux in various flavours for over 20 years!

We will try to help but need as much information a possible from you...

Jon

question for you regarding fr24 radarcape receivers, is it the fr24 software that is incompatable, or the cape hardware thats incompatable, because i have a beaglebone and a cape here i was gonna try with modesmixer software.. but wasnt gonna waste the itme on it until i figured this question out

jonfear

Postby jonfear » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:40 am

From Oliver we understand that the FR24 receiver and software has crippled bytes within the output which prevents any MLAT to be carried out by third party software. This seems to apply to both their supplied receivers and the standalone software.

Clearly they do not like competition, even from Amateurs.

This is the main reason for me stopping their feed from my system. They make lots of money from our data and frankly we get nothing back for our investment. Yes we get the "premium" status, but what does that really give us? Same goes for the rest as well. I now only feed into MLAT-Radar in the UK, VRS World and Planeplotter, in each case FULLY amateur sites.

Cheers

Jon
http://www.360radar.co.uk, the new name for MLAT Radar in the UK and Western Europe.

Former PP feeder Bm. No longer feeding. I do not have time to sort out imaginary problems with NTP
when it has been working fine for 2+ Years.

GregoryGHarding

Postby GregoryGHarding » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:53 am

So I stick the cape on a beaglebone and run my own decoding software it should work fine with mlat server. Thanks

lcova76

Postby lcova76 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:07 am

I have a VRS server with the feeds of almost all of Venezuela radar's (FA, FR24, RPi)...
I read that i cant use FR24 radar to get MLAT (both software and hardware versions) :shock: ...
Is there ANY way to use the FA radar to work with the MLAT client and MLAT Server? or will only the RPi (with dump1090 or PiAware) work??

jonfear

Postby jonfear » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:42 am

The MLAT server and client are the open source versions of the FA software and so should behave nicely. How this is achieved I am not sure as I have never done this. Hopefully someone else with more knowledge will be able to help further. I do know of many FA feeders also feeding into MLAT systems...

Jon
http://www.360radar.co.uk, the new name for MLAT Radar in the UK and Western Europe.

Former PP feeder Bm. No longer feeding. I do not have time to sort out imaginary problems with NTP
when it has been working fine for 2+ Years.

Jayme

Postby Jayme » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:24 am

Question regarding the MLAT-Client & Server;

If a user is feeding the MLAT-SERVER via the Client,
Are only the MLAT results for aircraft received by the user's receiver returned by the server or are all known MLAT position by the server sent to the client..?

Hope that makes sense.
Thanks in Advance.

Return to “General Discussion”