Support for online lookup of aircraft details, courtesy of PlaneBaseNG

Want to post something that doesn't quite fit into the other forums? This is the place for that.
TurboCommander

Support for online lookup of aircraft details, courtesy of PlaneBaseNG

Post by TurboCommander » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:35 pm

2.3 added "Support for online lookup of aircraft details, courtesy of PlaneBaseNG" What is this? I still have occasional blank flags, silhouettes and routes. So what exactly is being looked up, how can I tell it is working, do I have to change any settings? I did find in the data sources the paths to my local files for flags and silhouettes and such and a check box that was checked to enable this but still, I don't understand what it is doing or showing me. I'm sorry but I didn't see any explanation of what this actually does for us but it sounds exciting!

agw

Re: Support for online lookup of aircraft details, courtesy of PlaneBaseNG

Post by agw » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:18 am

It's an online lookup of aircraft details. It's switched on by default, you can switch it on and off in Tools | Options | Data Sources. You can see the last 30 minutes worth of lookups in Help | Diagnostics | Aircraft Online Lookup Log.

The lookup fetches registration, manufacturer, model, model ICAO, operator, operator ICAO, year built and serial number for aircraft ICAOs. If you already have those details for the aircraft in your BaseStation.sqb then you won't see much difference to before, although any fields that you're missing will be filled in on the live display.

It doesn't have anything to do with routes, they're just based on the callsign. If the aircraft isn't transmitting a callsign or it's transmitting its registration as a callsign, or it's transmitting a military callsign, then you won't see a route for the aircraft.