Number of tracking aircraft vs aircraft seen

Want to post something that doesn't quite fit into the other forums? This is the place for that.
wd8knd

Number of tracking aircraft vs aircraft seen

Post by wd8knd » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:30 am

I'm a newbee, but learning. One thing I haven't been able to figure out is this. I see a count of 24 aircraft being tracked, but may only see half that many on the map. Why is that? Why don't I see all 24?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Radio Active

Re: Number of tracking aircraft vs aircraft seen

Post by Radio Active » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:13 am

Most common (depending on where you are) is the aircraft you don't see are likely to be Mode S (MLAT tracked aircraft) that don't transmit position data, only ADS-B equipped aircraft will be seen, to see MLAT (positionless data) aircraft you need to either set up a MLAT client and join / send data to one of many MLAT servers around and hope there are other MLAT clients around you as it takes 3 or more MLAT receiver clients to get a position fix on these aircraft or know someone who might share MLAT data with you.

loww

Post by loww » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:41 am

Thats simple FR24 hide some Aircraft from different Company also the Military one.
:!: :!: :!: I search for People who want exchange VRS Data. I life near LOWW and i have a huge Coverage and multiple Receiver. :!: :!: :!:

agw

Post by agw » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:50 pm

As it happens I've been building up a FAQ page on the Reddit wiki (https://old.reddit.com/r/virtualradarserver/wiki/faq). I'll add this question to it because it does get asked quite a bit.

The list says it is tracking X aircraft but not all of them are shown on the map. Why?

All of the aircraft shown in the aircraft list have a Mode-S transponder. Standard Mode-S transponders transmit information like the aircraft identifier and the altitude but they do not transmit the aircraft position.

All of the aircraft shown on the map are equipped with ADSB-out as well as a Mode-S transponder. ADSB-out supplements the information that Mode-S transponders transmit, it adds more detail. Part of that extra detail is the aircraft's position.

loww

Post by loww » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:19 am

But quite Every Aircraft must have an Transponder in Europe. I dont know if the include send the Position. :D
I see many Glider who show up.
:!: :!: :!: I search for People who want exchange VRS Data. I life near LOWW and i have a huge Coverage and multiple Receiver. :!: :!: :!: