Anyone any ideas what this airspace is ?

Want to post something that doesn't quite fit into the other forums? This is the place for that.
Squadgy

Anyone any ideas what this airspace is ?

Post by Squadgy » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:37 am

Does anyone know what these circular areas of 'airspace' are ? They appear throughout the UK and go from surface to roughly 8000ft , however I can't find any reference to them at all in the UK AIP or other official sources of data - Thanks

Squadgy

Re: Anyone any ideas what this airspace is ?

Post by Squadgy » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:35 am

Re the below - I've now identified these mystery circles as being Red Arrow display RA(T)s. Quite why Open AIS classes them as permanent airspace when they're activiate only by NOTAM and once or twice a year is a mystery as many other display sites are not shown....

agw

Post by agw » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:08 am

That would explain why they were centred on areas like Silverstone.

What's Open AIS? Google isn't shedding much light on it, I can see there are resources there for maritime maps but not the aviation ones you seem to be showing.

Squadgy

Post by Squadgy » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:02 pm

agw wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:08 am
What's Open AIS? Google isn't shedding much light on it, I can see there are resources there for maritime maps but not the aviation ones you seem to be showing.
Apologies, that's a typo, it should read 'Open AIP' which is where the overlay is from http://maps.openaip.net/?destination=ht ... penaip.net