A few suggestions re callsign flagging.

The "to-do" list for Virtual Radar Server is as long as my arm, but if you want to pile more work onto it then this is for you.
kusuriurikun

A few suggestions re callsign flagging.

Post by kusuriurikun » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:15 pm

There are actually two (somewhat related) features I'd like to see in VRS at some point:

a) I'd like it if there was a way (through DB editor plugin, what have you) to inherently flag all craft from a particular ICAO code as "Interesting". (For example, flag all flights indicating an ICAO callsign belonging to a specific air medical carrier, for instance.)

b) Is there a method planned for dealing with "temporary use by craft" ICAO codes that we may want to flag as interesting while a craft is using that callsign (for example, flagging by callsign rather than ICAO code strictly)?

To give backgrounder--there are no less than four "temp use" ICAO codes used for various non-air-ambulance medical transportation services that rely on volunteer use of general aviation aircraft to transport people and their families to hospitals and medical centers for treatment (CMF belonging to Air Care Alliance and used for "Compassion Flights", NGF and GRC used by Air Charity Network for "Angel Flights", and HRF for Veterans Airlift Command's "Hero Flights"). There is also a temp-use ICAO code (DCM) used by users of Garmin's FltPlan service (using the associated voice radio call "DOT COM"). It really makes no sense to flag these in the database properly (as these are temporary use!) but I'd still like way to flag (with an appropriate BMP, and possibly as "interesting") if (say) some GA craft that's doing an Angel Flight or Hero Flight and squawking the appropriate callsign).

(We have some additional weirdness in that regard outside of ICAO temp code-signs, like MEDEVAC flights getting a vocal "Lifeguard" radio callsign, but this doesn't really show up on ADS-B tracking!)

agw

Re: A few suggestions re callsign flagging.

Post by agw » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:16 pm

The first is doable now if you know (or don't mind learning) a bit of SQL - you could use a SQLite editor to set the IsInteresting flag for all aircraft matching whatever operator you're interested in.

The second isn't doable and doesn't fit in with the existing scheme whereby the "is interesting" flag is stored in BaseStation.sqb against the aircraft. I think a more abstract rules-based system would cover what you're thinking of and would be more flexible than what's there now. I've added a Trello card for it but I think this sounds more like a version 3 thing so it's going to be some way off.