Options & Reports UI does not work in Firefox

Discussions about the preview versions of Virtual Radar Server.
Forum rules
Please bear in mind if you do install a preview version that it is unfinished code, there may be bugs, bits missing, things that don't work etc.

Posts in this forum will not show up in forum search results. Old threads will be pruned occasionally.
benfayers

Options & Reports UI does not work in Firefox

Post by benfayers » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:44 am

Running latest Firefox (Developer Edition 69.0b9) and when I open the Options popup or try and do a freeform report the popup renders like the following image:

Clicking any tabs ends up in the sidebar doing this:

agw

Re: Options & Reports UI does not work in Firefox

Post by agw » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:20 am

The developer edition is not the latest version of Firefox. It's a beta build and in Mozilla's own words it is "an unstable testing and development platform".

When I test the page using the latest release beta 69.0b13 (64-bit) the options menu and aircraft list are displayed normally.

benfayers

Post by benfayers » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:37 pm

agw wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:20 am
The developer edition is not the latest version of Firefox. It's a beta build and in Mozilla's own words it is "an unstable testing and development platform".

When I test the page using the latest release beta 69.0b13 (64-bit) the options menu and aircraft list are displayed normally.
I've now installed the 'release' version of Firefox, which calls itself 68.0.2 and I have the same issue there and the version of FF Developer Edition I have is 69.0b13 and I have the same issue still.

I also grabbed the 'Firefox Beta' which shows up as 69.0b13 and I have the same issue.

I'm not really sure where to go from here, any version of FF I still have the issue.

If it matters at all this is in the about for VRS:

Code: Select all

Version: 3.0.0 Beta
12/06/2019 19:06:05

Environment: Mono 64-bit

agw

Post by agw » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:32 am

I've been using Firefox as the main browser during development for a few months now. Never seen that issue. The Linux VM that I test with is running Ubuntu 18.04, updating Firefox on there to latest on apt-get gives me 68.0.2 and that's rendering the release build of 2.4.3 no problems.

The thing is the options page is using JQueryUI which has not changed in aeons. It's nothing fancy or cutting edge, it works with every modern browser that I've tried it with. If Firefox were genuinely having an issue with rendering JQueryUI controls then the problem would most likely lie with them, not with the site.

On top of that the list view is rendered as a standard HTML table, albeit with some CSS applied. It's even more basic than the options page.

Given that you can't render the site whichever version you run makes me suspect that you either:

a) Have some custom content that is messing about with the CSS. If you have the custom content plugin installed then disable it and see if that helps.

b) Your Firefox installation is knackered. Try getting rid of it entirely, reboot to make sure no lingering vestiges remain and then reinstall maybe? Are you installing using the distribution's package manager or using bundles you're downloading off a site? Maybe go for the package manager version if you aren't already?

If you have other machines on the network, e.g. a tablet, then you could try fetching the desktop page over the network and seeing if it works OK from there. The LAN address of the desktop page can be shown on the server's main screen, adjust the dropdowns under the list of clients.

Have you tried pressing F12 to get the console window up and seeing if there's any messages in the console window? You might get warnings about a missing .TS and .MAP file, you can ignore those, likewise if you're using Google Maps then it might say that it's fetching a later version of the map than the one requested. But you should not get any errors, if you see any then let me know what they say (and definitely disable the custom content plugin to see if they go away).

Maybe the splitters have gone a bit weird? You could try resetting the site's settings - go to the settings page off the server main screen (see the dropdowns below the connected clients list) and on there choose export settings, keep a copy of the text that appears just in case you want to put the settings back, and then click the button to remove all settings. Then go back to the main site, reload and see if that cures it.

If clearing the site's settings does the trick then if you could email me a copy of the exported settings from before you reset them then I can import those and see if I can reproduce the issue.

benfayers

Post by benfayers » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:51 pm

agw wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:32 am
a) Have some custom content that is messing about with the CSS. If you have the custom content plugin installed then disable it and see if that helps.
I do have some custom content but disabled it throughout testing and the issue persisted (cleared cache on the browser too once disabling the content) - So it's not that.
agw wrote:
b) Your Firefox installation is knackered. Try getting rid of it entirely, reboot to make sure no lingering vestiges remain and then reinstall maybe? Are you installing using the distribution's package manager or using bundles you're downloading off a site? Maybe go for the package manager version if you aren't already?
Possible? But I tried a portable version of firefox (without FF Sync enabled) and this has persisted over an entire PC re-install.
agw wrote:
If you have other machines on the network, e.g. a tablet, then you could try fetching the desktop page over the network and seeing if it works OK from there. The LAN address of the desktop page can be shown on the server's main screen, adjust the dropdowns under the list of clients.
If I use MS Edge or Chrome on the same PC the issue does not appear.
agw wrote:
Have you tried pressing F12 to get the console window up and seeing if there's any messages in the console window? You might get warnings about a missing .TS and .MAP file, you can ignore those, likewise if you're using Google Maps then it might say that it's fetching a later version of the map than the one requested. But you should not get any errors, if you see any then let me know what they say (and definitely disable the custom content plugin to see if they go away).
I had not tried this, but there is one error when you open the options UI, and a second error once it's been closed for a few seconds.

Code: Select all

TypeError: b is null desktop-0-bundle.js line 60 > eval:224:1838
    useSvgGraphics [redacted]/VirtualRadar/desktop-0-bundle.js line 60 > eval:224
    useEmbeddedSvg [redacted]/VirtualRadar/desktop-0-bundle.js:189
    createIcon [redacted]/VirtualRadar/desktop-0-bundle.js:189
    refreshAircraftMarker [redacted]/VirtualRadar/desktop-0-bundle.js:189
    refreshSelectedAircraft [redacted]/VirtualRadar/desktop-0-bundle.js:189
    raise [redacted]/VirtualRadar/desktop-0-bundle.js:127
    setSelectedAircraft [redacted]/VirtualRadar/desktop-0-bundle.js:174
    f [redacted]/VirtualRadar/desktop-0-bundle.js:171
    aircraftListUpdated [redacted]/VirtualRadar/desktop-0-bundle.js:171
    raise [redacted]/VirtualRadar/desktop-0-bundle.js:127
    applyJson [redacted]/VirtualRadar/desktop-0-bundle.js:174
    fetchSuccess [redacted]/VirtualRadar/desktop-0-bundle.js:177
    d [redacted]/VirtualRadar/desktop-0-bundle.js line 60 > eval:60
    l [redacted]/VirtualRadar/desktop-0-bundle.js line 60 > eval:60
    fireWith [redacted]/VirtualRadar/desktop-0-bundle.js line 60 > eval:60
    q [redacted]/VirtualRadar/desktop-0-bundle.js line 60 > eval:60

TypeError: b is undefined desktop-0-bundle.js line 60 > eval:251:8960
    intersects [redacted]/VirtualRadar/desktop-0-bundle.js line 60 > eval:251
    _clipPoints [redacted]/VirtualRadar/desktop-0-bundle.js line 60 > eval:251
    _update [redacted]/VirtualRadar/desktop-0-bundle.js line 60 > eval:251
    _reset [redacted]/VirtualRadar/desktop-0-bundle.js line 60 > eval:251
    onAdd [redacted]/VirtualRadar/desktop-0-bundle.js line 60 > eval:251
    _layerAdd [redacted]/VirtualRadar/desktop-0-bundle.js line 60 > eval:251
    whenReady [redacted]/VirtualRadar/desktop-0-bundle.js line 60 > eval:251
    addLayer [redacted]/VirtualRadar/desktop-0-bundle.js line 60 > eval:251
    addTo [redacted]/VirtualRadar/desktop-0-bundle.js line 60 > eval:251
    addPolyline [redacted]/VirtualRadar/desktop-0-bundle.js line 60 > eval:262
    a.widget/</j[b]</< [redacted]/VirtualRadar/desktop-0-bundle.js line 60 > eval:82
    createTrail [redacted]/VirtualRadar/desktop-0-bundle.js line 60 > eval:189
    updateTrail [redacted]/VirtualRadar/desktop-0-bundle.js line 60 > eval:189
    refreshAircraftMarker [redacted]/VirtualRadar/desktop-0-bundle.js line 60 > eval:189
    refreshMarkers [redacted]/VirtualRadar/desktop-0-bundle.js line 60 > eval:189
    foreachAircraft [redacted]/VirtualRadar/desktop-0-bundle.js line 60 > eval:174
    refreshMarkers [redacted]/VirtualRadar/desktop-0-bundle.js line 60 > eval:189
    refreshMarkersOnListUpdate [redacted]/VirtualRadar/desktop-0-bundle.js line 60 > eval:189
    raise [redacted]/VirtualRadar/desktop-0-bundle.js line 60 > eval:127
    applyJson [redacted]/VirtualRadar/desktop-0-bundle.js line 60 > eval:174
    fetchSuccess [redacted]/VirtualRadar/desktop-0-bundle.js line 60 > eval:177
    l [redacted]/VirtualRadar/desktop-0-bundle.js line 60 > eval:60
    fireWith [redacted]/VirtualRadar/desktop-0-bundle.js line 60 > eval:60
    q [redacted]/VirtualRadar/desktop-0-bundle.js line 60 > eval:60
agw wrote:
Maybe the splitters have gone a bit weird? You could try resetting the site's settings - go to the settings page off the server main screen (see the dropdowns below the connected clients list) and on there choose export settings, keep a copy of the text that appears just in case you want to put the settings back, and then click the button to remove all settings. Then go back to the main site, reload and see if that cures it.
Clearing settings (including initial settings set) resulted in no difference.