How to reduce VRS load on cpu

Want to post something that doesn't quite fit into the other forums? This is the place for that.
Saturnus

How to reduce VRS load on cpu

Post by Saturnus » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:29 pm

Any suggestions to reduce the load on CPU?
With this I do not mean the load from the webinterface on the server or the client watching it, no, this is about the VRS upstream side.

agw

Re: How to reduce VRS load on cpu

Post by agw » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:33 am

I don't understand what you mean by "this is about the VRS upstream side". What do you mean?

Saturnus

Post by Saturnus » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:00 pm

Yeah that was vague.

Let's reframe that to: server side, as in not taking into account clients connecting and thus generating CPU load.

agw

Post by agw » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:06 am

There aren't a lot of options to change how VRS deals with feeds that would have a significant effect on CPU load. Most of the load that's normally seen comes from processing requests from a lot of clients. Looking at my local installation of 2.4.3 on a middling i5 with ADSBHub's feed and an SBS-3 feed of about 100 aircraft, plus a handful of rebroadcast servers and one client connected... it's mostly hovering between 0% and 0.5% CPU usage, occasionally getting into 1% territory. I've not seen it get as high as 2% while I've been typing.

However if you're on a Pi or similar, or you are processing a very large feed, then it can start to pummel the processor. You could switch off online aircraft lookups and if you have a BaseStation.sqb configured then remove its configuration so that it's not trying to do any database access. If you have control over the feed format then you could experiment with those, see if one requires less processing than the others.

Other than that I can't think of anything obvious that would improve CPU load.

Saturnus

Post by Saturnus » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:58 pm

Thanks for the tips.

Here it could be 25% without clients on the webinterface. 33% with client.
Running an AMD Athlon X2 4050e. 11 year old server. Might upgrade when a nice deal appears.