What does the MLAT tick exactly do?

Are you having trouble getting Virtual Radar Server installed and running? If so then this is the place to ask about it.
Saturnus

What does the MLAT tick exactly do?

Post by Saturnus » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:43 am

http://www.virtualradarserver.co.uk/doc ... tions.aspx
MLAT

This tick box is only enabled when you select a receiver in the Receivers list. Ticking this box tells VRS that the selected receiver is an MLAT feed. The feed calculates positions for aircraft that do not transmit positions themselves. VRS will use these positions even if the feed is not the nominated feed for an aircraft.
I know what MLAT is, have a basic understanding of how it works, but still don't understand what explicitely will change when telling VRS that a certain feed is MLAT.
Thanks.

Skibox

Re: What does the MLAT tick exactly do?

Post by Skibox » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:09 pm

Saturnus wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:43 am
I know what MLAT is, have a basic understanding of how it works, but still don't understand what explicitely will change when telling VRS that a certain feed is MLAT.
It allows VRS to take positions for an aircraft from this feed when available, even if more frequent data is coming in from other receivers (as those other feeds contain no position info).

But there are still bugs that does not correctly set the mlat flag from mlat feeds, so it can get confusing when viewing the resulting data.

/M

Saturnus

Post by Saturnus » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:44 pm

Skibox wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:09 pm
Saturnus wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:43 am
It allows VRS to take positions for an aircraft from this feed when available, even if more frequent data is coming in from other receivers (as those other feeds contain no position info).

But there are still bugs that does not correctly set the mlat flag from mlat feeds, so it can get confusing when viewing the resulting data.

/M
Thanks.

Saturnus

Post by Saturnus » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:15 am

In using this option I found that position information from these MLAT feeds were used over the position information from direct data. Thus airplanes were moving back and forward on the map. Disabled the option.