External IP not working

Are you having trouble getting Virtual Radar Server installed and running? If so then this is the place to ask about it.
Dodsy

External IP not working

Post by Dodsy » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:55 pm

Hi all, I have recently got VRS set up to show all my data from my PI feed and all is fine on that front that

The issue I'm having is the external IP won't load

I have Flightaware set up and that is an 86. address with a port of 8080 that loads fine

VRS gives me an external address which is exactly the same as Flightaware, so I altered the IP and chose 8085

I made a file named InstallerConfiguration.xml and put the following in

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<InstallerSettings xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
<WebServerPort>8085</WebServerPort>
</InstallerSettings>

And opened the port within my hub upon trying to connect it won't load

Now the same link with flightaware on the 8080 port

Is it the fact I have flightaware running which is causing a conflict between the 2 and as that was set up 1st that's the only external one which will load?

agw

Re: External IP not working

Post by agw » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:12 pm

Sorry for the delay in replying.

At some point you probably set up port forwarding on your router to direct incoming packets from port 8080 on the Internet to port 8080 on the Pi.

Port forwarding only works on a per-port basis. In order for you to see VRS from the Internet you would need to repeat the procedure but this time add a forwarding of port 8085 on the Internet (or actually any port number you like between 1024 and 65535, except for 8080 which you've already used) to port 8085 on the Pi.

Once the port forwarding is in place you should then be able to see your VRS installation from the Internet.

Dodsy

Post by Dodsy » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:06 am

Hi.

Thanks for the reply I've opened 8085 in my hub and also added it to the web server part of VRS but still no luck

agw

Post by agw » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:53 pm

The UPnP port number in the VRS settings is only used for setting the external port when UPnP is enabled (which is only supported on Windows) and for formatting the Internet Address shown on the main window. It does not necessarily need to match the actual external port you've configured in port forwarding, if it's wrong it just means that the Internet Address that gets shown is wrong. It won't stop the port forwarding from working.

I take it you still have VRS configured to listen to port 8085 - i.e. when you access it across the network at http://192.n.n.n:????/VirtualRadar the "????" portion of the address is 8085? And that it works when you access it using that port over the network?

Dodsy

Post by Dodsy » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:59 pm

Hi.

Yes the 192. address works on 8085

The 86. address doesn't work on 8085 it's the same address as what Flightaware uses but the port is 8085 instead of 8080

agw

Post by agw » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:29 pm

I'm slightly confused by the VRS icon on the Windows taskbar in your screenshots. Is that the instance of VRS you are trying to put onto the Internet? Only in your original post you showed a modification to the installer XML file. Manually editing that file is more usually associated with a VRS installation on Linux. Under Windows it is better to re-run the installer and specify there which port you want to listen to (e.g. 8085). You will also want to tick the option to open the firewall for that port.

If the last screenshot is taken from the machine that is running VRS then you are not accessing VRS from across the network. You need to use another computer on the network (e.g. your phone when it's on Wifi) and access the site from there. If it says it can't connect then it's the firewall on the host machine that's blocking the connections. If your host machine is Windows then re-running the installer and ticking the option to open the firewall should do the trick as long as you're just using the default Windows firewall.

Dodsy

Post by Dodsy » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:37 pm

Hi

This is the PC I'm trying to get it work on

I re ran the VRS installer ticked firewall and manually set the port to 8085 I have tried on my phone and it doesn't load I've also switch off the firewall on my pc I have VRS on to see if that would work

agw

Post by agw » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:28 pm

Dodsy wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:37 pm
manually set the port to 8085
Do you mean you edited the installer configuration XML file or do you mean when the installer asked which port VRS should listen on you entered 8085? You need to do the latter - that is the port number that VRS will open up in the firewall if you tick that option and it is also the port number that VRS will tell Windows that VRS wants to listen to. Without that last bit you would get UAC prompts when you run VRS as a normal user.

Basically don't manually edit the installer configuration XML file under Windows. Use the installer to set that up.

Dodsy

Post by Dodsy » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:29 pm

Hi

I did it in the VRS installer I have deleted that file I added

Dodsy

Post by Dodsy » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:42 pm

Sorted

Just needed to change internal port on my router to that of VRS

:D