Ability for more than one feeder to connect to a port..

The "to-do" list for Virtual Radar Server is as long as my arm, but if you want to pile more work onto it then this is for you.
dsfh2992

Ability for more than one feeder to connect to a port..

Post by dsfh2992 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:55 pm

If I define a receiver, it would be cool if more than one simultaneous feed could connect to that receiver's "port" and feed data.

I get around that with some netcat stuff, but it would make things easier. Of course, this is probably very specific to the way I'm using VRS. Probably not a popular request.

Anyhow, I'll stop with the feature requests now.... ;)

--Dan

agw

Re: Ability for more than one feeder to connect to a port..

Post by agw » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:37 pm

I don't mind the requests, don't worry about that :) However in this instance this sounds like a fair old upheaval, there is state associated with each receiver and all of the code around that assumes that you have one feed on that receiver. I would have to merge the streams into a single feed to prevent problems arising from messages getting duplicated when two feeders both send messages from the same aircraft.

Maybe rather than calling it a receiver it would be more of a merged feed that you can connect to directly. I'll have a think about it.

dsfh2992

Re: Ability for more than one feeder to connect to a port..

Post by dsfh2992 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:16 pm

Looking at how things are developing over on adsbexchange.com, I think passing the feeder name through VRS Compressed format so that it shows up on the target server would be more useful, actually. I can work around the "one receiver per port" issue with some other scripting methods.